Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Day After

Today was uneventful. I went to school early, took a test in class, had lunch with David Riemenschnieder (he is going to be in the Educators Program with me), went to Pardes, and came home with Aunt Gail.
This post really is not about me.
It's about the three people who were killed by someone described as a "hot head". For those that are curious Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and Defense Minister Ehud Barak described this person as a 'murderer' and not a 'terrorist'. Unfortunately, Israelis do not care either way. They see a man who was an Israeli Arab (notice I didnt' say Arab Israeli), how went on a rampage through a very crowded part of Jerusalem in bulldozer with the intention of killing as many people as possible. Most people I spoke with yesterday said "Thank God he only killed 3 people". Sadly for myself I wasn't shocked to hear a response like this. This was a horrible crime. Worst of all, I didn't even do research to see who was killed. I just saw a number, and knew that my family and friends here were okay. This afternoon while waiting for the bus with Aunt Gail she mentioned to me that one of the women killed was a friend of a friend. Alll of a sudden it became real. I found the article on JPost.com about the 3 people who were killed. All of a sudden it became very real. Once you hear the stories and realize what kind of travesty this was does it really hit you. I ask all of you to read this article and think about how thankful you are to have your loved ones around you. I know I am.

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

What do you mean by differentiating between "Arab Israeli" and "Israeli Arab"?

And why do you think Barak and Olmert called him a "murderer" and not a "terrorist"?